log in

Your Rights, Safety & Security

Legal Rights - Things to look out for before you rent!

All properties must be registered with the relevant local council. For properties in Glasgow this is Glasgow City Council and you can check registration at www.landlordregistrationscotland.gov.uk or on 0800 027 0414. 


If the property is housing two or more people who are not related, then it must have an HMO (House in Multiple Occupancy) license. Check this with the Licensing Section of Glasgow City Council on 0141 287 4535.

Safety & Security - Who is responsible for what!

Your landlord has a number of responsibilities to you:

  • To provide safe, secure accommodation that has the following: smoke/carbon monoxide detectors, a Gas Safety Record, an Electrical System Certificate, no bars on any of the windows, effective locks on windows and doors, and good external lighting.
  • They must give receipts for all payments. 
  • To keep the property wind and watertight.
  • To organise repairs.
  • To give 24 hours notice of any visits and not enter the flat without the tenant’s permission. 

You also have a number of responsibilities as a tenant. Some of these include:

  • Keeping the property in a good condition and let the landlord know of any repairs needed.
  • Help keep communal areas clear and tidy.
  • Usually be responsible for paying bills, including gas and electricity.
  • Ensure that the landlord is notified if the property will be empty for any significant period of time (e.g. over holidays). 

  • Sorry!
  • No current events :(
  • ...
  • But check soon!

The Nido Collection


USSA, 90 John Street, Glasgow, G1 1JH, The University of Strathclyde Students' Association is a charity registered in Scotland, No:SCO05914