log in

Scottish Students


Scottish Undergraduate Students

Student funding for Scottish residents is awarded through the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). Information on the types of support available through SAAS and the criteria for eligibility for support, can be found on the SAAS website .


Eligible Scottish-domiciled students studying full-time in Scotland are not required to pay tuition fees if studying for a first degree or equivalent, although you still have to apply to SAAS to access this support. 

Maintenance Loan:

If you need help with living costs whilst at university, all eligible full-time students can apply for a loan of up to £7,500 to cover living costs. This loan is means tested, so the amount you receive will be dependent on your parents’ household income. You will start repaying this loan once you have left your course and are earning over £16,910 a year. Part-time students can apply for the part-time fee grant, but are not eligible for the means tested loan for living costs. If you cannot study full-time and are concerned about how you can support yourself financially whilst studying, have a look at our benefits page to find out if you could be eligible for help from the government.

Do you want to study somewhere else in the UK?

If you want to study somewhere else in the UK, you need to apply for a fee loan to cover the cost of tuition. Scottish Students are entitled to a non-income assessed loan of up to £9,000 a year towards the cost of their tuition fees. 

Fancy studying abroad? 

As of the academic year 2014/2015, a new pilot scheme has been introduced to encourage more Scottish students to study abroad. Scottish domiciled students can apply for the same bursary and loan support as students attending university in Scotland. More information on this scheme and a full list of participating Universities can be found on this page of the SAAS website 

Supplementary Allowances

Lone Parent Grant and Lone Parent Childcare Grant

The Lone Parent Grant is administered by SAAS and is available to full-time Scottish funded undergraduate students. This grant covers the whole year from the first day of your course.  Money will be given either as a grant of £1,305 or as an extra allowance against your income. Part-time undergraduates and all postgraduate students are not eligible for this grant. More information can be found on the SAAS website 

Again for Scottish student, if you receive the Lone Parent Grant you could also receive up to £1,215 to pay for registered or formal childcare.  To be eligible to receive the Lone Parent Childcare Grant, you must already be in receipt of the Lone Parents' Grant. It is vital that students who qualify for the Lone Parent Childcare Grant have their student funding letter from SAAS by the start of their course so that their claim can be processed by the University at the start of the academic year, so make sure you get your SAAS application in early. SAAS guarantee that correct claims received by the 30th June will be processed in time for the start of the academic year. For the SAAS Guide on childcare funding,

For more information on finance for students with children see our Quick Guide to Finance for students with children

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

This fund provides for those who incur extra expense by attending a course due to a disability or learning difficulty. Money can be accessed for specialist equipment, non-medical assistance and a higher than normal amount for travel costs. This allowance is not income assessed and it is open to undergraduates and postgraduates. You can also apply for the Disabled Students’ Allowance even if you have had academic support before or have chosen not to take out a student loan; however, you must be eligible to apply for SAAS to be considered for DSA. Please note that this fund cannot be accessed if you are going to study abroad.

Scottish Postgraduate Students 

Tuition fees 

SAAS now offer tuition fee loans for some postgraduate courses within Scotland. For more information and a full list of the courses available, you can visit the SAAS website. If the course you want to do is not funded by SAAS, then some of the options below might help you with tuition fees and living costs.

Career Development Loan 

If you cannot get financial support from other sources you may be able get a Career Development Loan. This is a bank loan and you must be over 18, planning to study in the UK and wishing to apply for no more than 80% of your course fees plus other costs; this can range from £300 - £10,000. If, however, you have been out of work or a full-time student for three months or more you may be able to get your full course fees covered. Your course must not last more than two years, it must relate to a future job or career – though not necessarily one you have had or currently hold - and you must not be supported financially by a student grant or loan at a publicly-funded Higher Education institute. Please be aware that you have to start paying back this loan one month after you finish your course; if you are unemployed on completion you will be given up to 17 months during which time the government will pay the interest on the loan for you. At the end of that period you will become responsible for the whole loan and any extra interest. A Career Development Loan may affect your benefits and you are advised to check with your local DWP if you are claiming or want to claim benefits. For more information call The National Careers Service on 0800 100 900.

Scholarships and Trust Funds

Several industrial organisations and a number of government departments have schemes to support students. These schemes are usually competitive and may have requirements, for example, that particular research is undertaken or attached to them. Details of these sponsorship and scholarship opportunities can be found on Postgraduate studentships  or Jobs.ac.uk .

Strathclyde also has some scholarship programmes of its own. For more details, see the University website  or visit the Career Service.

The requirements for Trust Funds are set by the people who fund them, so in other words, the criteria varies and anyone wanting extra support should investigate if there is a suitable fund/s for them. The Advice Hub and Student Finance also hold information on available funds or you can look online at The University website for more information: 

Trust Funds 

PostGraduate Scholarships 

Other sources of Funding

  • Sorry!
  • No current events :(
  • ...
  • But check soon!

First Group


USSA, 90 John Street, Glasgow, G1 1JH, The University of Strathclyde Students' Association is a charity registered in Scotland, No:SCO05914