log in

Quick Guide to Finance for Students with Children

Lone Parent Grant and Lone Parent Childcare Grant

The Lone Parent Grant is administered by SAAS and is available to full-time Scottish funded undergraduate students. This grant covers the whole year from the first day of your course.  Money will be given either as an extra grant of £1,305 or as an extra allowance against your income. Part-time undergraduates and all postgraduate students are not eligible for this grant. More information can be found on the SAAS website

Again for Scottish students, if you receive the Lone Parent Grant you could also receive up to £1,215 to pay for registered or formal childcare.  To be eligible to receive the Lone Parent Childcare Grant, you must already be in receipt of the Lone Parents' Grant. It is vital that students who qualify for the Lone Parent Childcare Grant have their student funding letter from SAAS by the start of their course so that their claim can be processed by the University at the start of the academic year, so make sure you get your SAAS application in early. SAAS guarantee that correct claims received by the 30th June will be processed in time for the start of the academic year.  SAAS Guide on Childcare funding 

Childcare fund:

This fund is available to Scottish domiciled full-time undergraduate students and postgraduate students who are in receipt of a tuition fee loan from SAAS, to help with registered childcare.  The amount you can be offered is means tested and you are likely to only receive a contribution towards the cost of childcare.  To be eligible you will have to have applied for the full means tested student loan (if applicable).  This fund is accessed through the University’s Student Finance Office but you can also collect forms from Advice Hub.

Childcare Grant - RUK students

For home students from outside Scotland, this grant provides up to 85% of costs for registered childcare for full-time students.  You can apply for funding before starting your course to avoid financial hardship.  

In 2014 to 2015, if you are from England or Northern Ireland you could get:

  • up to £150.23 a week for 1 child
  • up to £257.55 a week for 2 or more children

Welsh students could get:

  • £161.50 a week for 1 child
  • £274.55 a week for 2 or more children.

The grant helps with childcare costs for children under 15, or under 17 if they have special educational needs.  You must be eligible for student finance to apply for a Childcare Grant.

Parent Learning Allowance - RUK students


For those with dependent children in full-time education, this is assessed in household income and can provide up to £1523 (England), £1557 (Wales) or £1538 (Northern Ireland) of support per year. You can apply through your relevant student finance body when you apply for your student loan. 

Discretionary Fund 

All UK/Home undergraduates and postgraduates studying either full-time or part-time can apply to this fund if they find themselves facing severe financial difficulty. If you are not eligible for any other childcare funding, you could apply to the Discretionary fund. The money, which is managed by the University but provided by the Government, can be applied for by filling out a form available from The Advice Hub or the Student Finance Office.

To be eligible for this award you will have to have applied for the maximum amount of Student Loan available to you (if applicable).

Please note: if you have outstanding money from the Emergency Aid Fund this will be deducted from your award from the Discretionary Fund before you receive it.

Emergency Aid Fund

Students facing immediate and urgent financial difficulty can apply for a loan from the Emergency Aid Fund through the Student Finance Office.  Payments of around £100 can usually be made on the day, whilst larger sums may take a few days. There is no interest charged on these loans, however, if you do not repay the loan by the agreed date you may prevent yourself from re-registering or graduating.

Child Tax Credits

If you have a child/children under 16 or child/children between 16-19 in full-time non-advanced education, you could be entitled to child tax credits.

The amount will depend on your circumstances but you could be entitled some extra cash and, if you qualify for this maximum amount, your children may also be entitled to free school meals. Additional support is available through Child Tax Credits if you or your child has a disability.

More information is available at HMRC 

Strathclyde University Nursery

Childcare Scotland runs the Strathclyde University Nursery on the John Anderson Campus.  

Current daily rates are:

Between the hours of 8am to 6pm

  • 0-2 years:    £34.99 daily
  • 2-5 years:    £32.47 daily
  • 2-5 years:    £16.23  for a half-day session 8-1 or 1-6)
  • Student rate, 2-5 years,  full-time only:  £116.74

Please be aware that there is likely to a waiting list, so the sooner you get in touch the better. Priority is given to Strathclyde staff and students and to parents who already have children in the nursery.  For more details or to check availability, please contact Eileen Tinning, Nursery Manager on 0141 553 4125. 

More information available from: 

Scottish Childcare Information Service:

National and local childcare information organized by place and type of childcare.

You can call them on 0141 287 5223 (Glasgow) or visit their website. 

Parent Zone:

For information on pre-school education and childcare.

One Parent Families Scotland

One Parent Families Scotland provides help to all lone parent families; mums, dads, young parents, and kinship carers. They have lots of useful factsheets and a helpline for further support: 

(0808 801 0323)

Monday to Thursday 9.30 am to 4.00 pm.

They can help deal with more complicated problems like relationship break-down, contact arrangements for your children, getting to grips with child maintenance payments, helping you sort out what money you should be getting, returning to college or university and going back to work.

Please be aware that this guide is designed to give a quick over view at funding options available to student parents.  If you would like further information on particular funds The Advice Hub can help you find it or put you in touch with other people who can assist you.






  • Sorry!
  • No current events :(
  • ...
  • But check soon!

First Group

The Nido Collection


USSA, 90 John Street, Glasgow, G1 1JH, The University of Strathclyde Students' Association is a charity registered in Scotland, No:SCO05914